Trail Clean Up

We (Jake C and I) had a call 3.10.23 with Michelle O’Kelly from the Michigan DNR. She is directing us to a couple of motor vehicle focused DNR team members, but it sounds like there will be a good opportunity for our own clean up. Tim Novak (Also MI DNR) should also give us some trail options and contacts to start us off. More to come, but thought I would get the topic started.

4 Likes

She seem receptive to working with us. Our being an official non-profit was a key requirement, and they’re always glad to coordinate free trail cleanup help.

Count me in!

1 Like

We seem to have the DNR lined up to get us connected to the right people and the right process. More to come, but we had further conversation today (3/12.23).

1 Like

This is awesome. Count me in, as well.

1 Like

We will try and get some options on dates and locations and “vote” on what works best for people. There are some good options with Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association too. As soon as I figure out how to link to their info, I will post those too. More to come and we will get some club options together ASAP.

2 Likes

This would be helping pick trails up? This isn’t Highway trash?

Yes. Cleaning up overgrowth, downed trees, etc. and keeping the trail passable.

1 Like

It’s a mix, some of it will likely be picking up debris from the trail along with clearing, trimming and “maintenance “. I heard back yesterday, the DNR trail coordinator is reaching out to find where the greatest needs are.

3 Likes

OK, we have Gladwin or St. Helens as options from the DNR. We can propose dates and choose locations. I am biased towards Gladwin, because we have a cabin close by and St. Helens will be a lot more trash and clean up vs. trail work, it’s a very popular sxs spot.

1 Like

Can we respond with the request for the Tawas-Oscoda trails (since we know they are bad and want to use them at least once a year) and provide Gladwin as a backup?

1 Like

We can try, we can probably do both? I did mention Oscoda in my initial inquiry and they responded St Helens and Gladwin.

1 Like

And hosts the Gambler 500 every June. That’s the only reason I know where it is…

Should we select one that we frequent more then the others? That way we can also enjoy a little pride of using a clean trail?

2 Likes

That was the goal with trying to get Oscoda. I agree Gladwin is a good backup since we’ll be frequenting there a bit.

Unfortunately Oscoda wasn’t given as an option. My suggestion, we start with Gladwin (it’s central and slowest to the major metro areas) and then reach out to other DNR managers directly, once we get some experience. Now we just need to figure out when. I’m really booked through Bronco the Mac June 9-11, but others may have availability (it is more than just showing up, there will be emails, meetings, coordinating people and figuring out equipment etc.).

1 Like

I can be flexible on most Saturdays, it’ll just change which Saturday I won’t be garbed up. There are a few through the summer I’ll be 100% unavailable, but not too many.

Let’s do it on a Saturday then. See how flexible you are. I’m lucky to reach my shoe laces in the morning.

1 Like

I know I’ve had crappy luck coming out to play so far but when you guys decide to do it I’ll try to plan on coming out and helping. I have a battery power sawzall the works real well cuting small to medium size stuff up.

I’ve been cry laughing for a solid two minutes :rofl::rofl::rofl: I needed that this morning, thanks @Jayson!

2 Likes